By Isabel Weinger Nielsen, editor
On February 6, the Norwich University community celebrated the renovation of Ainsworth Hall with a ribbon cutting and open house. The ceremony began in the White Chapel, where Joel A. Kolbert ’65, Chair of the Forging the Future Campaign, gave a warm welcome and explained that the $4.8 million Ainsworth renovation, which took 7.5 months to complete, includes a newly constructed wing, complete weatherization, an elevator, ADA compliance, upgraded technology, two multipurpose rooms, and new offices.
President Richard W. Schneider gave a brief history of the building; that it was built in 1910 and functioned first as a U.S. Weather Bureau Station. Over the years it served in succession as faculty housing, administrative offices, and an infirmary. Provost and Dean of the Faculty Sandra G. Affenito spoke about Ainsworth as a state-of-the-art facility, a collaborative space which will encourage interactive learning and critical-thinking skills. It will house the Peace and War Center, the School of Justice Studies and Sociology, and the Department of History and Political Science.
Edward P. Kohn, Professor and Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, spoke next about Norwich investing in the future, that the offices are extensions of home and ourselves, and the $4.8-million renovation is an investment for all of us. After closing remarks by President Schneider, the dignitaries, representatives from construction services and facilities operations, Stan Shernock, Director of the School of Justice Studies and Sociology, and Michael Andrew, Chair of the Department of History and Political Science, participated in a ceremonial ribbon cutting.
After the ribbon cutting, guests had a tour of the renovated Ainsworth Hall and enjoyed refreshments.Check out the internal view of Ainsworth in this photo gallery, courtesy of Mark Collier, staff photographer.
Video created by Norwich Television, Jim Black ’17