- Traveled to Augsburg, Germany, to spend three weeks doing research in libraries and archives in and around the city, June 4-28.
- Attended the “Reacting to the Past Game Development Conference” in Wichita, Kan., and is currently developing a role immersion “game” for classroom use in teaching about the Reformation, July 13-16.
- Organized an academic colloquium conference at the Trapp Lodge in Stowe, Vt., to discuss themes of authority and liberty in Martin Luther’s 95 Theses April 27-30, 2017. October 31, 2017 marks the 500th anniversary of Luther’s publication of the 95 Theses, the catalyst for the Protestant Reformation.
- Was interviewed in July on the theme of Martin Luther and the 95 Theses for a podcast in the Research on Religion series at Baylor University’s Institute for Studies of Religion. Listen to the Podcast.
- Gave a presentation on “China’s New Silk Road: The Strategic Outflanking of America” on September 12, 2017, in Kreitzberg Library as part of the CoLA Fall 2017 Colloquium.